Announcements and Important Events
Hibriten High School Athletic Department
COVID-19 Return to Play Policies and Procedures
Phase 1 Guidelines (revised as of 6/25/20) per Gov. Cooper
The athletic department at Hibriten High School is prepared to implement infection prevention measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 while student-athletes are participating in school athletic functions. As the state of North Carolina continues its phased re-opening and the NCHSAA announcement of summer plans for athletics (2.2.16 beginning June 15th, it is important that all school personnel (coaches, staff, and administration) and student-athletes follow the policies outlined below. The health and safety of Hibriten student-athletes is our biggest priority, and as such these policies will be strictly enforced. Student-athletes and school personnel will be protected by emphasizing infection prevention methods that will include the following…
- Education of COVID-19 signs and symptoms as outlined by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) so school personnel and student-athletes can self-monitor for these symptoms.
- Limit of no more than 10 individuals at a single indoor athletic venue and 25 outside at any one time in an athletic venue. (Weight Room Closed during Phase 1)
- This includes coaches, athletes, and sports medicine staff.
- Student-athletes will participate in a modified strength and conditioning program with an emphasis on gradual return to full activity.
- See Page 2 for guidelines
- Communication and removal from sport activities: An individual that has been around anyone diagnosed with COVID-19 (less than 6 feet for greater than 10 minutes)
- Individual will remain away from school activities for minimum of 10 days, or a release form from a medical provider for Return to Play
- Prompt recognition and isolation of an individual exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19.
- Should any individual exhibit symptoms of COVID-19, they will self-isolate at home for a minimum of 10 days.
- All individuals will complete COVID-19 checklist questionnaire before attending ANY school athletic event.
- See Page 3 for checklist questionnaire.
- Increasing distancing between athletes-athletes, coaches-athletes and coaches-coaches.
- Elimination of team meetings, positions etc. Meetings shall be online only.
- Sanitation of hands and all equipment after every use.
- Balls, tackling dummies, helmets, shoulder pads, weight equipment, nets, (CCS will provide sprayer for sanitation purposes)
- Encouragement of all individuals to bring their own labeled water bottles and to properly sanitize them at home.
- No skin-to-skin contact will be permitted between athlete to athlete and athlete to coaches.
- High-fives, chest bumps, shaking hands, etc.
- Coaching Staff and all Student Athletes are required to wear a mask when entering campus and while on campus for any school related activity.
- When athletes are NOT involved with exercise or the recovery phase of exercise students are required to wear a mask. This means during transitions or any activity other than exercise.
Strength and Conditioning &
Skill Development Session Guidelines
Coaches are required to keep an accurate record of attendance to ensure that athletes satisfactorily progress from one phase to the next
Sessions may last no longer than 1 ½ hours, and athletes may participate no more than 90 minutes total. (Skill Development, Conditioning)
***Per Governor Cooper & CCS a mask will be required on campus while attending any school related activity. Mask must be worn when not exercising or recovering from exercise.
***No outside competition or travel is permitted until North Carolina reaches Phase 3 of the state COVID-19 reopening plan and then must be approved by the Superintendent or designee (Principal or Athletic Director). Alumni and other outside individuals are not permitted to participate in any activities that involve Hibriten student athletes. Hibriten will not host or provide any summer camps for youth due to the risk and liability of students who are out of our guidance and abilities to monitor. All out of County travel will be suspended for summer activities nor will we host outside systems in a competition setting.
Coaches will wear a mask during contact with athletes. Athlets will wear a mask when not actively engaged in physical activity. This is to help reduce the risk of exposure.
Hibriten High School Athletic Department
COVID-19 Checklist Questionnaire
See NCHSAA Daily Form
- In the last 48 hours, have you experienced any of the following:
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Aches and Pains like Flu like symptoms (joints, muscle aches)
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
- In the last 48 hours, have you been around anyone suspected of or diagnosed with COVID-19?
- Cardiac Related symptoms checklist:
- Racing Fluttering or Skipping Beats of the Heart?
- Unusual Dizziness During or After Exercise?
- Temperature Check-ins required daily
If YES to any of the symptoms in Question 1 or to Question 2, that individual will be immediately sent home, parents notified, and will not be allowed to return for a minimum of 10 days, as outlined by CDC recommendations.